The Mercedes-Benz 300 SL is a piece of automobile legend, the famed German maker's super sports car with gull wings that once were seen, were never forgotten. It was a 1954 release, and drew largely upon a successful racing prototype from 2 years earlier, inheriting the inner mechanics of a race car and THAT sublime silhouette. What could the world do but embrace such a thing of beauty? In fact, the gull wings were not only an aesthetic masterstroke, they were born of necessity: the 300 SL's state-of-the-art tubular space frame made the use of "regular" side-opening doors somewhat impractical. The body had in fact received a few minor tweaks from the original prototype, resulting in a more elegant road-going sports car-esque appearance. Power was provided by an inline-6 engine that featured direct injection technology (a world first) that generated 215hp and a considerable amount of speed. Naturally, fans across the world clamored (and still do) to get their hands on the 300 SL.
About the Model
- This is a 1/24 scale plastic model assembly kit of the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL.
- The complex tubular space frame is given a breathtaking rendition in 1/24 scale. It is constructed in the same way as that of the actual car.
- The sporty yet elegant form of the body is captured magnificently.
- Gull wing doors are moving, and can be left in open position. The engine hood also opens, to reveal the realistic recreation of the 300 SL's inline-6 engine.
- Nylon mesh is included to recreate the front intakes.
- Metal transfers are provided to depict mirror surfaces and logos.
- Features realistic synthetic rubber tires.
Parts come molded in white, gray, silver and black. Includes clear parts and decals.